Monday, October 27, 2008

Attitude, Aging, Agility

Today was my mother-in-law's 90th birthday!!!!! I went out and visited with her for about an hour and am still amazed that she is so sharp. I told her that I hoped to live to be 90 and be as clear minded as she is. Her only limitation now is that she is paralyzed from waist down due to back surgery about a year ago. No one knows what happened to cause it, and, in my opinion, she is handling the situation really well. I know nobody know what goes on inside a person, and I'm sure she has many lonely hours, frustrations, and depressed feelings at times. I asked her if she thought she would make it to 100 and she very adamantly said, "No, please. I don't want to live 10 more years like this. I'm ready to go, so whenever the Lord is ready for me, I'll gladly give this up." She is totally dependent on someone else for everything and for her that's totally out of character. We know that "all things work for good to those who are the called according to His purpose." I know she is a Christian, so this will work for her good. She has a wonderful attitude, is aging gracefully, and is still mentally agile. So, I think her attitude has a lot to do with coping ability. The family found a wonderful black lady, Juanita, to move in and be with her around the clock. I met her today for the first time and just fell in love with her. She says she thinks she's found her niche and Grannie seems to really like her as well. God is good!

Would you believe that I actually turned the heat on tonight for a while!!! Our temperature has dropped considerably from last week, and I'm just naturally cold natured. The heat felt wonderful and will probably feel even better in the morning when it's supposed to be 32 degrees.

Until next time...Wanda.

2 comments:

Stuart said...

I love the heat too momma! And you better live to be at least 90. I gotta keep my mommy!!

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of my Nana.

My Nana lived until she was 96 and the day before she passed I walked into her room to see her lying in bed unable to move becasue of a broken hip,with sparkly jewlery on her arms and ears.

She took one look at my beaded sweater and said how much shee loved it and wanted one. My Nana always took pride in her appearance and indulged in her passion- fashion.

They say when you look great, you feel great and I think that is what kept her going for so long.

Deborah
Glam Gal
www.fabulousafter40.com