Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Changes!

Life consists of changes, most of which I like. This past weekend, I traveled to Columbus to help Jawan and family move to a new house. I love the house and hope it won't take them long to adjust and make it feel like "home." When I returned home, my boss called me (can you believe that!?!) to tell me of a major change at the office. Since I had been off on Friday, he didn't want me coming in on Monday and be shocked when I learned the news. Four of our attorneys are pulling out and forming their own firm, which will leave only five to carry on as usual. He assured me that the change would not affect me in any way. This is the way he put it: "The good news is that all of your attorneys will be there on Monday; the bad news is that all of your attorneys will be there on Monday." Ha, ha, I love his sense of humor. I told him I believed the good outweighed the bad. We've just gone through a major change in the office anyway and now this - oh well, guess that's what's called progress. When I started to work here 16 years ago, we had 18 attorneys in this office and a branch office in Pensacola with 5 attorneys for a total of 23. About six years ago, four attorneys pulled out and formed their own firm leaving 19 in our firm. Now, the Pensacola office has now broken away from us to become their own entity, which left 14 in our firm. In the interim, for whatever reason five others have moved on to other firms, which left 9. With the departure of the four this week, we are left with 5. Gee, that's kinda sad to see us dwindling down but, who knows, we may hire additional attorneys to take up the slack. I love my job, my boss, the benefits and the working conditions so I plan to be here until they kick me out, I get too old to work, or the Lord takes me home, whichever occurs first. ha. Ok, I know you were just dying to know all of this but I'll not bore you further. I will close by wishing a Happy Valentine's Day to everyone, especially my children (Angela, Jawan and Stuart) and grandchildren (Meredith, Ethan, Emily, Andrew and Luke). I love all of you with all my heart! Mom.

No comments: