Thursday, January 01, 2009

Happy New Year!



This is my little family of children and grandchildren that I got to enjoy during the Christmas holidays. We had beautiful weather (as you can tell from the short sleeves) and had a wonderful time together.

The only "downer" to the holidays was the death of my brother-in-law, Gwin Turner, in California. He and my sister (Norma) had been married for 57 years (married when she was only 15) and had been together day and night for all those years. I wanted to go to be with her and the family but, under the circumstances of being Christmas, all my family at my house, getting an airline ticket on the spur of the minute, and the weather elsewhere, I just couldn't make it work. Sis understood and assured me it was ok. My heart was there with her, and I'm staying in touch often. It will be a long, hard, lonesome road for her for a long time, but her faith is strong, she knows Gwin is with Jesus, and she has her children/grandchildren for company and comfort. However, there will always be an empty spot in her heart for her mate, but it will ease somewhat as time goes on. She knows she is loved! I'm hoping to be able to go and spend a few days with her sometime soon.

Christmas has been wonderful in a lot of ways. I had five of my friends over for a night of food, fun and fellowship a couple of weeks ago. We ate, made Christmas ornaments, exchanged gifts, and just had a great "girlfriend" session. Then last night, New Year's Eve, eleven of us got together (five couples and me) at one of the couple's homes and ate and played Pictionary. What fun!!! I've spent all day today at Angela's. We ate the usual New Year's Day meal (black eye peas, ham, etc.)and then went shopping. What's a day off if you don't go to Walmart?!

I have tomorrow off from work also and plan to spend most of it cleaning house. I haven't touched this place since everyone left after Christmas, so there's lots to be done. I guess my new work arrangement starts this next week, so just pray that I can adjust to the changes. I will enjoy having every Friday off, but the pay cut will still take some getting used to. God knew seventeen years and a half ago when I was initially hired that this was going to take place, and He has promised to meet my needs. Therefore, I trust Him to do just that.

I've made no resolutions for this coming year, but I do hope I'll be better at posting. We'll see. Until next time...Wanda.

No comments: