Sunday, December 18, 2005

Update from Columbus

Well, it has been an eventful week. On Wednesday, December 14, 2005, my fifth grandchild was born - Luke Brasher McGinnis - weighing in at 8 pounds 6 ounces and 20 3/4" long. He is beautiful but so different from his brother, Andrew. Andrew is fair skinned and blond (white) hair, and Luke is dark skinned and dark hair. Jawan says Andrew is her baby and Luke is Mitch's. ha. They got to come home from the hospital this afternoon - quite a long stay but Luke was jaundiced so they had to keep them for an extra day. Yesterday while visiting with them at the hospital, I was sitting in a glider rocker holding Andrew and playing with him. I was sitting on the edge of the rocking chair and was going to let Andrew slide down my legs. Well, the chair flipped out from under me, and I hit the floor flat on my bottom, which resulted in excruciating pain in my lower back. Jawan called the nurses' station and told them to get a wheel chair and some assistance pronto. The pain was awful. They took me to emergency and got x-rays of my back, which showed nothing broken or fractured (thank the good Lord) and gave me a prescription for a muscle relaxer as well as pain medication. I didn't get that filled until this afternoon and when I got up this morning I was very sore. It feels a little better tonight, so maybe in a day or two the medication will have me back to normal. I have no idea what caused the pain, but I won't be sitting on the edge of a rocker or any chair from now on. Tomorrow will be busy taking Luke for a checkup with his pediatrician, Jawan to the doctor to have staples removed, and several other things I heard her mention earlier. I think Angela and her kids are coming up Tuesday to see Luke (and Mitch, Jawan and Andrew) and will stay until Thursday, at which time all of us will head back to Thomasville. Hopefully, Stuart can drive over from Stockbridge on Tuesday or Wednesday night and we can have Christmas with Jawan and family before we go home. So, there you have it. I'm here to help her and almost wound up needing help myself. ha. I am so thankful it wasn't worse and that I'm feeling better. Oh, I almost forgot, I got to go to church this morning with Mitch and Andrew and even played the piano for their services. What a privilege and joy! More later.....

No comments: